Friday, January 15, 2010

Batik Jacket - It's a Winner

Just completed this jacket using a rayon-based batik fabric, Maid Marian from Sawyer Brook's Fall II Collection. The photos don't do justice to the richness of the background colors of this pretty batik print. The jacket pattern which comes from CNT Pattern Co. promised a quick sew (3 hrs??? I don't think so). After preshrinking the fabric in my washing machine...cool wash, medium spin...I threw it in the dryer with good results; the fabric came out intact and ready to cut and sew. This fabric is very fluid and requires care in cutting. I also encountered problems sewing the seams where the neckline and shoulder meet and finishing the collar. I struggled, partly because of the nature of this very soft, drapy, somewhat difficult-to-handle fabric and partly because of the design of the front, collar and front facing pattern piece. Not as simple to sew as I had expected, but it all ended with good results. As promised in the pattern description, the finished jacket's feminine silhouette is comfortable and stylish. I may use this pattern again, but next time I'll go with the 3/4 sleeve option for a more casual approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment